Smart Trade Insights
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Investing
  • Politics
Top Posts
Editor’s Picks: Gold, Silver Prices Dip and Bounce...
Justice Department’s antitrust chief says she’s leaving, effective...
A.I.S. Resources’ Saint John Copper/Gold/Antimony Project Gets TSXV...
Filing of Initial Prospectus
When Diamonds Are Not Forever: NWT’s Diamond Industry...
Keith Weiner: Silver Being Remonetized “With a Vengeance”...
Top 5 Canadian Mining Stocks This Week: Trinity...
Tech Weekly: AI “Scare Trade” Spills into New...
Crypto Market Update: Coinbase Posts US$667 Million Q4...
Tajiri Discovers Potentially Economic Gold Mineralization in Multiple...
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Investing
  • Politics

Smart Trade Insights

Business

Elon Musk’s X and Starlink face nearly $1 million in daily fines for allegedly evading ban in Brazil

by admin September 21, 2024
September 21, 2024
Elon Musk’s X and Starlink face nearly $1 million in daily fines for allegedly evading ban in Brazil

Elon Musk’s X faces steep daily fines in Brazil for allegedly evading a ban on the service there, according to a statement from the country’s supreme court on Thursday.

The fines, imposed by Brazil’s supreme court (Supremo Tribuno Federal or STF) amount to $5 million in Brazilian reals, about $920,000, a day. The court said it would continue to impose “joint liability” on Starlink, the satellite internet service owned and operated by SpaceX, Musk’s aerospace venture.

The suspension of X in Brazil was initially ordered by the country’s chief justice Alexandre de Moraes at the end of August, with orders upheld by a panel of justices in early September. The court found that under Musk, X had violated Brazilian law, which requires social media companies to employ a legal representative in the country and to remove hate speech and other content deemed harmful to democratic institutions. The court also found that X failed to suspend accounts allegedly engaged in doxxing federal officers.

X recently moved to servers hosted by Cloudflare, and appeared to be using dynamic internet protocol addresses that constantly change, enabling many users in Brazil to access the site. In a previous setup, the company had used static and specific IP addresses in Brazil, which were more easily blocked by internet service providers at the order of regulators.

Musk, who owns the company formerly known as Twitter, has been lashing out at de Moraes for months, and continued to do so after the order was issued. He’s characterized de Moraes as a villain, comparing him to Darth Vader and Harry Potter character Voldemort. He has also repeatedly called for de Moraes to be impeached.

Brazil previously withdrew money for fines it levied against X from the accounts of X and Starlink at financial institutions in the country. The new fines will begin as of Sept. 19, with the court calculating a total based on “the number of days of non-compliance” with its earlier orders to suspend X nationwide.

While Musk presents himself as a free speech absolutist, X has acquiesced to requests to remove profiles and posts in countries including India, Turkey and Hungary.

Musk and X may be in the process of complying with Brazil’s takedown orders as well. Correio Braziliense, a Brazilian publication, reported on Wednesday that X has started blocking accounts as per suspension orders issued by the country’s supreme court.

Among the apparently banned accounts were those of some internet influencers who are reportedly being investigated for spreading misinformation and promoting attacks against democratic institutions in Brazil. 

X said it wasn’t intending to restore access for Brazilian users.

“When X was shut down in Brazil, our infrastructure to provide service to Latin America was no longer accessible to our team,” a company spokesperson told CNBC on Wednesday. “To continue providing optimal service to our users, we changed network providers. This change resulted in an inadvertent and temporary service restoration to Brazilian users. While we expect the platform to be inaccessible again in Brazil soon, we continue efforts to work with the Brazilian government to return very soon for the people of Brazil.”

Brazil’s national telecommunication agency, Anatel, has been ordered by de Moraes to prevent access to the platform by blocking Cloudflare, as well as Fastly and EdgeUno servers, and others that the court said had been “created to circumvent” a suspension of X in Brazil.

Cloudflare didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment, but the company is reportedly cooperating with authorities in Brazil.

Before the suspension, X had an estimated 22 million users in Brazil, according to Data Reportal.

This post appeared first on NBC NEWS

previous post
Three Mile Island nuclear plant to help power Microsoft’s data-center needs
next post
NextNav Stock Price, Forecast, and Latest News

You may also like

Nvidia overtakes Apple as world’s most valuable company

October 29, 2024

Fed minutes point to ‘likely’ rate cut coming...

August 23, 2024

Frontier Airlines proposes merging with fellow budget carrier...

January 30, 2025

Promises of ‘passive income’ on Amazon led to...

September 28, 2024

Gov. Gavin Newsom says he will provide residents...

November 26, 2024

Starbucks will stop charging extra for nondairy milk

November 1, 2024

Disney wins the 2024 box office as year-end...

January 16, 2025

With Trump all-in on crypto, bitcoin bulls bet...

February 14, 2025

Dollar Tree says it’s winning over higher-income shoppers...

March 28, 2025

Google has eliminated 35% of managers overseeing small...

August 29, 2025

    Fill Out & Get More Relevant News


    Stay ahead of the market and unlock exclusive trading insights & timely news. We value your privacy - your information is secure, and you can unsubscribe anytime. Gain an edge with hand-picked trading opportunities, stay informed with market-moving updates, and learn from expert tips & strategies.

    Recent Posts

    • Editor’s Picks: Gold, Silver Prices Dip and Bounce Back, Plus Top Takeover Candidate

      February 15, 2026
    • Justice Department’s antitrust chief says she’s leaving, effective immediately

      February 15, 2026
    • A.I.S. Resources’ Saint John Copper/Gold/Antimony Project Gets TSXV Acceptance

      February 14, 2026
    • Filing of Initial Prospectus

      February 14, 2026
    • When Diamonds Are Not Forever: NWT’s Diamond Industry Begins to Crack Under Pressure

      February 14, 2026
    Promotion Image

    banner ads

    Categories

    • Business (938)
    • Economy (839)
    • Investing (3,894)
    • Politics (747)
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms & Conditions

    Disclaimer: smarttradeinsights.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.


    Copyright © 2026 smarttradeinsights.com | All Rights Reserved