Smart Trade Insights
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Investing
  • Politics
Top Posts
Charbone Hydrogene annonce les resultats financiers T2 2025
Charbone Hydrogen Announces Q2 2025 Financial Results
Earthwise Advertising & Investor Awareness Campaign
Cameco, Kazatomprom Production Cuts Stoke Uranium Market Tightness
Crypto Market Update: Stablecoins Top US$283 Billion in...
Editor’s Picks: Gold Price Breaks US$3,400, Silver Added...
Top 5 Canadian Mining Stocks This Week: Trifecta...
Cracker Barrel rebrand: Why companies retreat when faced...
Retail panic: What the end of the ‘de...
North Shore Closes $1.4 Million Non-brokered Private Placement...
  • Business
  • Economy
  • Investing
  • Politics

Smart Trade Insights

Politics

U.S. restarts offensive weapons sales to Saudi Arabia after lengthy ban

by admin August 10, 2024
August 10, 2024
U.S. restarts offensive weapons sales to Saudi Arabia after lengthy ban

The Biden administration is lifting its years-long suspension of offensive arms shipments to Saudi Arabia, authorizing an initial shipment of air-to-ground munitions and saying it would consider additional new transfers “on a typical case-by-case basis,” according to senior administration officials.

The sale of certain classes of offensive weapons was frozen in early 2021 to signal administration disapproval of the Saudi war with Iranian-backed Houthis in Yemen and strikes against civilian targets there. Since a United Nations-mediated truce in the spring of 2022, “there has not been a single Saudi airstrike into Yemen and cross-border fire from Yemen into Saudi Arabia has largely stopped,” a senior official said.

“So the Saudis have met their end of the deal, and we are prepared to meet ours, returning these cases to regular order through appropriate congressional notification and consultation,” said the official, one of several who discussed the decision on the condition of anonymity imposed by the White House.

The decision was first reported Friday by Reuters, which said that Congress was briefed on the sale this week.

Significant numbers of both Republican and Democratic lawmakers in the past have opposed any change in the suspension policy toward Saudi Arabia, primarily on the basis of domestic human rights abuses that the administration has also criticized.

Congress can withhold approval of weapons sales, but can only stop any transfer with a veto-proof joint resolution of disapproval. Rep. Joaquin Castro (Tex.), a senior Democrat on the House Foreign Affairs Committee who supported the administration’s initial decision to pause transfer of offensive weapons, said Friday that the Saudis had a “troubling” record on human rights. “I hope to see compelling evidence that Saudi Arabia has changed its conduct,” Castro said.

But relations have grown considerably closer in recent years between the administration and the monarchy in Riyadh, which President Joe Biden called a “pariah” state during his 2020 campaign.

Much of the rapprochement has focused on larger administration goals for the Middle East, including the establishment closer defense ties with Persian Gulf nations to prevent Iranian expansion in the region, to defend Israel against Iran and its regional proxies, and to stem Russian and Chinese influence.

The Iranian threat increased with the beginning of the Israel-Hamas war in Gaza, as the Houthis in Yemen began firing missiles at commercial shipping in the Red Sea, while Hezbollah stepped up its strikes from Lebanon into northern Israel. Both Iranian-supplied and backed groups have said they are acting in support of Hamas.

“Throughout this period, Saudi Arabia has remained a close strategic partner of the United States and we look forward to enhancing that partnership,” the senior official said. “Just this week, the Saudis had a senior delegation in Washington to discuss cooperation in advanced technologies and artificial intelligence. Last week, a senior U.S. interagency delegation visited Jeddah to meet with the Crown Prince and Saudi leaders on regional issues and integrated air and missile defense.”

A senior State Department official also noted “the positive steps that the Saudi Ministry of Defense have taken over the past three years to substantially improve their civilian harm mitigation processes, in part thanks to the work of U.S. trainers and advisers.”

Administration attempts to expand U.S. defense cooperation with the Saudis, which predate the beginning of the war in Gaza, have also been aimed at normalizing relations between Israel and Saudi Arabia. The United States has offered to sweeten the deal with expanded arms sales and civil nuclear cooperation.

But early progress toward that end has been stalled as Arab states have called on the administration to do more to protect Palestinian civilians in Gaza from Israeli attacks and to move toward a long-term solution to the Palestinian crisis.

Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and Jordan aided the United States in helping Israel repel an Iranian attack in April. But with a new Iranian threat looming following the Israeli assassination in Tehran of Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh on July 31 and Israel’s foot-dragging in attempts to negotiate an end to the Gaza war, it is unclear whether they are willing to do so again.

John Hudson contributed to this report.

This post appeared first on washingtonpost.com

previous post
UAE Suspends 32 Gold Refineries in Anti-Money Laundering Initiative
next post
Harris may need less of popular vote to win electoral college

You may also like

Elon Musk gives $75M to his own America...

October 16, 2024

Former Trump advisers become central part of Harris...

October 21, 2024

Democrats attack Green Party’s Jill Stein amid spoiler...

October 12, 2024

Harris flubs manufacturing jobs claim in MSNBC interview

September 26, 2024

With Walz now on the ticket, Vance previews...

August 7, 2024

Kamala Harris is set for her first Fox...

October 16, 2024

Michigan lawyer who claimed election fraud arrested after...

August 14, 2024

How a Trump visit sparked turmoil at America’s...

August 29, 2024

Former congressman George Santos expected to plead guilty

August 18, 2024

Fact-checking the 2024 Trump-Harris debate

September 11, 2024

    Fill Out & Get More Relevant News


    Stay ahead of the market and unlock exclusive trading insights & timely news. We value your privacy - your information is secure, and you can unsubscribe anytime. Gain an edge with hand-picked trading opportunities, stay informed with market-moving updates, and learn from expert tips & strategies.

    Recent Posts

    • Charbone Hydrogene annonce les resultats financiers T2 2025

      August 30, 2025
    • Charbone Hydrogen Announces Q2 2025 Financial Results

      August 30, 2025
    • Earthwise Advertising & Investor Awareness Campaign

      August 30, 2025
    • Cameco, Kazatomprom Production Cuts Stoke Uranium Market Tightness

      August 30, 2025
    • Crypto Market Update: Stablecoins Top US$283 Billion in Circulation, Bitcoin Slips

      August 30, 2025
    Promotion Image

    banner ads

    Categories

    • Business (841)
    • Economy (829)
    • Investing (2,724)
    • Politics (737)
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms & Conditions

    Disclaimer: smarttradeinsights.com, its managers, its employees, and assigns (collectively “The Company”) do not make any guarantee or warranty about what is advertised above. Information provided by this website is for research purposes only and should not be considered as personalized financial advice. The Company is not affiliated with, nor does it receive compensation from, any specific security. The Company is not registered or licensed by any governing body in any jurisdiction to give investing advice or provide investment recommendation. Any investments recommended here should be taken into consideration only after consulting with your investment advisor and after reviewing the prospectus or financial statements of the company.


    Copyright © 2025 smarttradeinsights.com | All Rights Reserved